Contents

Friday, January 28, 2011

Leave The Libraries Alone. You Don’t Understand Their Value

"Leave The Libraries Alone. You Don’t Understand Their Value."  False Economy / Philip Pullman.
UK: False Economy, January 25th 2011.

"I still remember the first library ticket I ever had. It must have been about 1957. My mother took me to the public library just off Battersea Park Road and enrolled me. I was thrilled. All those books, and I was allowed to borrow whichever I wanted! And I remember some of the first books I borrowed and fell in love with: the Moomin books by Tove Jansson; a French novel for children called A Hundred Million Francs; why did I like that? Why did I read it over and over again, and borrow it many times? I don’t know. But what a gift to give a child, this chance to discover that you can love a book and the characters in it, you can become their friend and share their adventures in your own imagination."